Why a School Referendum?
Madison Values Education
- Good schools are essential to a strong community.
- Our schools are our future.
- Quality education attracts business and homebuyers.
School Funding is Broken
- Mandates, needs and costs continue to grow faster than allowed
- Annual service and program cuts of 1-2% over the last 15 years.
- Over 100 districts in Wisconsin have held referenda in the last
- After 15 years of cutting, essential services are in danger.
We Can't Afford to Cut More
- Over 600 staff positions have been lost since 1993.
- Over $60 Million in cuts have been enacted since then.
- The district has continually worked to become more efficient,
eliminating or combining many administrative positions.
- Coming years will require further cuts in class size, arts,
music, electives, nurses, counselors, athletics, teaching materials,
facilities, staff development, maintenance, transportation and more.
How a Referendum Will Help
- A referendum allows the community to fund our schools
- A referendum will provide relief while working
for State school finance reform - at least two years away.
- After years of trying to do more with less, we must improve and
expand the good our schools do.
Authorized and paid for by Madison CAST, PO Box 46341 Madison WI
53744-6341. Treasurer, Jackie Woodruff.